Wednesday, March 14, 2012

The Road to Emmaus

Luke 24 holds the account of two disciples who forgot Jesus’ face even as he physically walked with them and the reminder that He gave of his life to us all. In my own story here, I needed to realize that even in the bible the disciples lost track of Jesus’ face and his hope. A few weeks ago, I told another YAV that I didn’t find it very easy to see God working in my Guatemalan journey. I did inexplicably know that I didn’t think my time was up here. I am not yet supposed to go home even though I often think that would be the easiest solution to my struggles here. When our minds take over and we can’t see God, perhaps our hearts still burn within us as the men on the road to Emmaus experienced. When we listen to our hearts as they are on fire even in hard times, maybe that’s when we can see Jesus. The disciples fully recognized their savior not when he walked them through the story of His life on earth, but when they broke bread. In the replaying of some of the most difficult moments of their lives, when their Savior’s body was broken for us, they recognized Jesus. I know that I cried my way through two days with my PSF community, and now that they are safely home in Nashville, I can see that God sent them to remind me of his face, to bring me hope and renewed strength to continue forward in my YAV year. Seeing some of my church family was my opportunity to break bread, to recognize in my hard times, God is here. Yesterday, I believe, I was able to recognize what might be the next little circle of light. And that, in this moment and in this place, is a miracle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment