Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I like concrete!

Everything here is constructed of concrete. I think the main house of Finca Santa Elena has, so far, been the only building used for living or business constructed of wood that I have witnessed. I have, in my few months here, discovered two wonderful benefits of buildings of concrete. I realize that both are concepts we are aware of in the states, but now, I know these things securely.
One. Houses of concrete can’t have termites. Have you ever thought about the power of termites? They have the ability to destroy houses that have been passed down for generations. These are houses that are old, but full of sentimental value.  They also enjoy devouring trees. For which Guatemalans have developed the habit of painting the bottom half of all the trees white—or in the case of the one in my house, the same color as the wall. Turquoise camouflaging for trees. Who knew?!
Two. When a pile of trash in the neighboring lot catches fire next to your wall (and very near my room), underneath the power lines, the result isn’t a totally fried house. Only some foul burning rubber and burning plastic smelling smoke, really fast Spanish, and the whole town permeating the house. The only thing wooden would naturally be the ladder that the firefighters use to climb the wall to reach the fire on the other side. Trust me. I know from experience.
If you are one of those people who has nightmares about your house burning down, just use concrete it has proven reliable. In the time that the fire in my house burned, at least half a wooden house would have scorched, but here, the fire didn’t even get eat more than the trash pile of its origin. With my room being the closest living space to the fire, I have decided that I am a fan of concrete! 

2 comments: