Thursday, October 20, 2011

Mass Email... Just in case I missed someone!

Hi Everyone, 
     Its really hard to believe that I have been in Guatemala for six and a half weeks now and I have met my fundraising goal! Many thanks to all of you for your support--financial and otherwise!
     The first five weeks were spent in language/culture studies in Antigua and in a small town outside of Xela called Pachaj. Every minute here has been an adventure. I think I am finally getting a grasp on Spanish, and am now settling in to my permanent location. 
     This year I am living and working about a 30 minute bus ride outside of Antigua in a town called San Miguel Dueñas. Monday through Friday I work at the Open Windows Foundation in the center of town--about a 10 minute walk from my house. The OWF is essentially a children`s library with other educational resources such as a computer lab, daily learning activities, and classes.
     Friday was the last day of school until January. The equivalent of the US summer break is from mid-Oct to mid-Jan here. In January the students will change grades. During school vacation, the OWF has more activities and classes for the kids. Right now I teach English, Math, Sports, and Sewing during the week. 
     To follow me in my work and life in Guatemala this year, check outwww.caustinlangley.blogspot.com. And I always love to hear from friends and family in email, blog comments, and with Facebook! 
     I look forward to hearing from all of you soon! Many thanks to all of you for your wonderful and much needed support, Austin

No comments:

Post a Comment